Article Critique 💥
Article title:
Impact of teenage EFL learners’ psychological needs on learning engagement and behavioral intention in synchronous online English courses.
Zhou, S., Zhu, H., & Zhou, Y. wrote this article in 2022, and through quantitative and qualitative analysis, to explore the extent to which learners engage with online learning in behavioral, cognitive, emotional, and relatedness.
Video for personal understanding 👀
Zhou, S., Zhu, H., & Zhou, Y. (2022). Impact of teenage EFL learners’ psychological needs on learning engagement and behavioral intention in synchronous online English courses. Sustainability, 14(17), 10468.
Hi Yixuan: Thank you for sharing this interesting article. I have a couple questions about the study:
ReplyDelete1. In your summary of the study, you mentioned that 233 secondary school students completed an online questionnaire survey and 5 students completed a one-on-one interview. Why was the study structured in this particular format? Did the study provide any justification for the purpose of conducting a survey and an interview respectively? Also, how was the sample selected?
2. What was the authors’ rationale behind this study? What problem were they trying to solve with the results of the study?
3. What are some of the implications of this study and what future directions could be derived from the results?
1. The authors refer only to their data collection during the covid-19 period. Why the authors choose these two modes, I think, is because they want to argue from both quantitative and qualitative aspects.
Delete2.The authors conducted their study because they believe there is a lack of empirical evidence on simultaneous online learning courses for high school students. And because of the pandemic environment, it's also important to study students' experiences in simultaneous online classes.
3.At the end of the article, it is mentioned that the author hopes that through this research, more synchronous online teachers can improve their teaching methods and students can be more engaged in online learning.
Hi Yixuan,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this interesting topic about synchronous online English courses. I think you did a great job in covering introduction, limitation, theories that lay on the study, and your own thoughts on the study. But could you please tell us a little bit more about the research design and methodology? I found it interesting that the researchers used a mixed-methods approach, combining quantitative analysis from online self-reported questionnaires and qualitative analysis from online interviews. I think it is more holistic but I am wondering how they will interpret and analyze the data during this process. What reason or rationale led researchers to use this mixed-methods approach? Is it because using only one single study method will have some limitations to the results? Thank you!
This is a very good question. In fact, I don't quite understand why the author chooses these two methods of data collection. My personal guess is that interviews can enhance the credibility of the data? Is it more likely that some students didn't answer the questionnaire that carefully?
DeleteHi Yixuan,
ReplyDeleteYour Critique Video is concise and easy to comprehend. However, I'd want to hear your take on a few questions that came up to me when I was watching your critique video.
1. I wonder why the number of participants in each method is so drastically different?
2. The outcomes from synchronous English course aren't mentioned, I wonder how did the authors pointed out about their assessment in this regard or not?
Overall, I think you chose an interesting article for this assignment. It's interesting to explore articles like this as it provokes our thoughts and we get to learn and utilize our critical thinking skills from them.